Monday, November 28, 2016

Honolulu

Aloha Ohana :) 


I have got to say, time goes sooo fast, but this week has been so long haha! Not in a bad way at all but I never realized how changing seriously everything up could be such an adjustment! 
It is similar in the idea of missionary work haha but pretty much way different!! We cover a lot of military housing and on base, so we cannot tract. But even the "small" amounts of local area that we can tract is bigger than my whole hauula area hahah. It's good :) I love having the opportunity to talk to nonmembers alllll over and also to experience such a different culture. I have got to say the military group of people is almost opposite of the hawaiian culture haha. I get a nervous not knowing the culture (ex: to make people love you you eat tooons of food, but here I don't necessarily think that's true haha they probably will think I'm rude if I eat a ton!) 
But I really love my companion! Sister Makihele.
So in the car on the way to the apartment when we first got put together, we were just talking and I made a comment how it was funny because my twin sister drove on the wrong side of the road during her driving test and still passed (lol jamie). And she freaked out about me having a twin (which is normal) but then she said "I have a twin too! ...and she also drove on the wrong side of the road her first time driving" haha I died. So funny. We are both twins in a 9 person family. cool beans. We also meet so many twins. It's so fun. We actually have so much in common in our twinship. I'm her second companion, but she's been out for about 4-5 months! We are doing good together and I am grateful to have such an easy going comp. She's tongan but from alaska and fits in a lot with the military culture, but i really like it! 
The investigators in the area all sort of dropped so we have been trying to find new investigators! It's pretty amazing how we get placed in the right places to meet these people. Like I said, it's a pretty different culture working with military people, also with the Caucasians. It really is quite different. But good experience nonetheless :)
I do miss seeing the temple every day and wearing muumuus haha. It is sooo different not having a million sisters around and not doing vc/online. But crazy thing. I sent a referral from the online system to this area.... and now I am the one contacting her!! how cool :) haha. Seriously, online referrals are so exciting for us when we get them!! :)
Oh for thanksgiving we got lots of food. I've never been more tired after eating turkey haha but the people are so generous. We ate at all american houses/parties, so definitely a traditional meal :) Lots of mashed potatoes :):):) 
Many of the people we invited to come to church actually came! But they didn't stay, one even left half way through the meeting.... so we will have to see how we can help there. 

But yeah. I'm soooo excited. We have a lot of potentials and some people that are beginning to investigate. It's so great to be able to help others. 
I hope you also have the chance to look at the mormon.org video and 25 service days!!! Really take the challenge. We are also trying to look for more service because we know that is what Jesus would do! :) 
Hiking
Its windy today!
I love you all so much! Fun that I get to skype you in less than a month!!! yay!! 
Reach out this Christmas season :) There's all kinds of excuses to serve and share the gospel :)
Love Sister Nielsen

No comments:

Post a Comment